Hurt Me Plenty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hurt Me Plenty

Quake 3 League Forums

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

nice idea =)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LeBron

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: nice idea =)   nice idea =) EmptyFri May 01, 2009 3:22 pm

this is a nice idea and i like to see you trying to get things going for the community after all the dramas about the ex-cheater lists on noghost and the hacker attacks lately. this sounds a bit more like a ladder then a real league. i like this. but there are a few points, where you might will get problems. the point ranking is a bit strange, it is really easy to fake this, all you need is just to play toghether with another clan, you beat them 100 times and give them later 20 dollars for this lol. cause its actually about how often you win. maybe you should take a look at clanbase ladder rating, thats really a good and fair rating....you earn and lose points by the point differents before the game. so if you play against a lower clan, you earn less points then you play against a clan that is higher ranked. also its just one map a game? 10 minutes arent really much, imo 15 would be more intresting, because their you can make a comeback if you didnt do good at the start....and 10 minutes could bring clans to camp the last 3-4 minutes. especially on big maps, since i didnt saw a maplist you can play on any map? i mean on a really big map you could just hide somewhere and push chat button and let the time running down. so a maplist might be not so bad.
so ya, thats my suggestions for now. i just wanted to point them and share my experience. in fact i really like your project and if you need any help just let me know.
Back to top Go down
ReAper
Admin

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: Re: nice idea =)   nice idea =) EmptyFri May 01, 2009 4:27 pm

You're correct Lebron, there's no map list - I would assume the clan who runs the server will pick a map like they would at a scrim.

As far as the point system goes, I am going to adjust the "differentials" somewhat because dime also thinks it's a bit off. Currently it's set up to reward clans for playing more challenging, higher ranked clans with bonus points even if they lose while taking a few points away from a high ranked clan playing a lower ranked. I'll need to elaborate on it a bit more it seems and make it more indepth than intially thought necessary. I was just trying to keep the adjustments simple and straight forward heh.

/edit

I just redid the bonuses, it's even more simplified - also reduced the overall points given per match in general to keep it more reasonable. No matter what, as long as I keep a "bonus" system in the mix there's the opportunity to manipulate it most likely. I'd be impressed if a clan would lose on purpose 100 times to help out another one win, lol. If anything would happen to cause me or anyone to suspect that's going on I'll step in though. Thanks.

/end edit

Regarding the timelimit, have you played an instagib scrim? I've been in a few, and besides being a lot of fun, they were all set to either 10 minutes or 250 team frags. More often than not 250 team frags happens faster than 10 minutes (that's a lot of fragging man... lol! ).

What I'm going for with the "open" schedule and short time limit is the ability to have matches very easily and very quickly hoping it will encourage activity amongst clans interested in participating.

Thanks for the input/feedback, if you've got more I'm all ears.

Cool
Back to top Go down
https://hurtmeplenty.forumotion.com
LeBron

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: Re: nice idea =)   nice idea =) EmptySat May 02, 2009 7:46 am

check this rating from clanbase....its really good!

How many points you gain after a win or lose after a defeat depends on the rating difference between you and your opponent before the match. The ELO formula is very complicated, but the following easy examples will give you a good idea:

* Beating an opponent with the exact same rating gets you 60 points.
* The maximum amount of points you can win for a single victory is 120, but to get this many points you'll have to beat an opponent who is 700 or more points ahead of you in the ranking. You get 100 points for beating an opponent who is 200 points ahead.
* Beating lower ranked opponents gets you less than 60 points. If they were 200 points below you you only gain 20 points, if they were 300 points below you only get 10 points, and if they were 400 points below you get a mere 5 points.
* If a match ends in a draw you will gain points if your opponent was ranked higher, or lose points if they were ranked lower.
* The number of points you can win and the number of points you can lose always add up to 120. So if you can only win 30 points with a victory, you can lose 90 points with a defeat.

personally i prefer freeze rail and i think most of the clans do since they are a freeze rail clan. but who knows, maybe people will like it and it turns out good. i would really consider a map list, doesnt matter if you put 20 maps on it, but there are a few maps that shouldnt be played.....like the one where you just got 1 spawn point. also you could add/allow custom maps. if its running good you could continue it after the month and just let it run like a ladder, especially when you use the ELO rating system. thinks work good in europe so why shouldnt they run here. hehe
i really hope this project will be successfull!
Back to top Go down
ReAper
Admin

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: Re: nice idea =)   nice idea =) EmptySat May 02, 2009 7:59 am

Ok, I guess it doesn't hurt to have a "set" list of maps to choose from. I went ahead and added a sampling to the rules/regulation post.

As far as the math system at CB goes, I don't think I'm allowed to copy it due to copyrights or something. lol!

But regardless, I don't want to overcomplicate things unless I have to - I mean if there are few subtle changes you'd like to suggest that are relatively simple to implement I'm all ears, but to have to evaluate each clan's individual position as opposed to whether one is ahead of the other in standings before a match starts could turn something designed to be fun into a little bit of work. cyclops

If you want to think of a simplified version of their scoring system that's cool, but since I'll most likely be doing the tracking manually I'd just like to keep things very "laid back" in nature. Smile
Back to top Go down
LeBron

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: Re: nice idea =)   nice idea =) EmptySat May 02, 2009 8:23 am

let me try something....not sure if it works.
how about:
every clans starts with 1000 points. now if clan A has 1000 points and clan B has 950 points, and clan A wins, means clan A wins 65 points and clan B lose 65 points. but if clan B wins, then clan B wins 85 points and clan A lose 85 points.

+200 - 125
+180-199 - 120
+160-179 - 115
+140-159 - 110
+120-139 - 105
+100-119 - 100
+80-99 - 95
+60-79 - 90
+40-59 - 85
+20-39 - 80
+19-0-19 - 75
-20-39 - 70
-40-59 - 65
-60-79 - 60
-80-99 - 55
-100-119 - 50
-120-139 - 45
-140-159 - 40
-160-179 - 35
-180-199 - 30
-200 - 25

means if you win against higher ranked clans, you gain more points and if you lose against a lower ranked clan you lose more points.
Back to top Go down
ReAper
Admin

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: Re: nice idea =)   nice idea =) EmptySat May 02, 2009 5:42 pm

I think I'm going to try to only have the bonus points be for positives, I'd rather it be easy to gain points than easy to lose points. Giving 1 point even in the event of a loss for example gives any clan motivation to be eager to play despite their odds of winning a match (I think the possibility of losing points may discourage clans to play at times - so I took that part of the "differentials" away).
Back to top Go down
ReAper
Admin

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: Re: nice idea =)   nice idea =) EmptySat May 02, 2009 6:48 pm

I just eliminated any opportunity for bonuses - too many people finding issues with it coming to me on xfire about it.

Just 3 points for a win, 1 point for a loss.

I cannot make it any simpler. Neutral

*sigh*
Back to top Go down
Aspirin1

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: Re: nice idea =)   nice idea =) EmptySat May 02, 2009 9:43 pm

A set map list is unnecessary.. the outcome of the game is the only thing that matters, not the point differential in the game.

Also, if you want a different scoring system.. you can make it so that in the 10 time limit, the winning team gets the amount of points that they scored in difference of the game, and the losing team gets 1/4 of the differential of the game. Ex. Clan A beats Clan B 100-40. Clan A gets 60 points, Clan B gets 15. (Always round up a point. Ex. Clan B gets 13.25 points.. they get 14.) Could be more interesting that way because then players must try to play the entire game, not just get a lead and keep it. I think by also having many different point combinations, it would be more interesting to see what the scores are and how the game is played. I would suggest a 25 game limit per week as well. Clans that play 25 games in a week are really active in the first place (which is what you are trying to accomplish) and it won't happen often that clans could play more than 25+ games.. so it keeps things from getting out of control if they do.

*If you take this suggestion in scoring method, you would want a set map list.

Tell meh what u think
Back to top Go down
ReAper
Admin

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: Re: nice idea =)   nice idea =) EmptyTue May 05, 2009 11:46 am

ooOOOOoOOOOooooo Asp, I have to say I love your suggestion.

Very unique and I agree, it would definately make people give their best effort the entire time.

I'll discuss it with a few people and make a final decision regarding it in the next few days.

Sorry it took me a bit to reply, somehow overlooked the "new post" identifier in this topic.

sunny
Back to top Go down
titan

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: Re: nice idea =)   nice idea =) EmptyWed May 06, 2009 3:31 pm

why would clan B get 15 if they lost 100-40?

sorry im probably missing something Razz
Back to top Go down
ReAper
Admin

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: Re: nice idea =)   nice idea =) EmptyWed May 06, 2009 3:39 pm

titan wrote:
why would clan B get 15 if they lost 100-40?

sorry im probably missing something Razz

Aspirin1 wrote:
the losing team gets 1/4 of the differential of the game.

1/4 the differential titan Smile

The differential in this case would be 60, 25% of 60 is 15 heh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

nice idea =) Empty
PostSubject: Re: nice idea =)   nice idea =) Empty

Back to top Go down

nice idea =)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hurt Me Plenty :: Lounge :: General-