Hurt Me Plenty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hurt Me Plenty

Quake 3 League Forums

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question about scoring

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
eclipse

Question about scoring Empty
PostSubject: Question about scoring   Question about scoring EmptyWed May 13, 2009 6:46 am

Reaper said this in one of his posts.

"In that game H$ defeated .o2o. by a margin of 29 points. In a loss by greater than 10 points the losing team receives 25% of the margin of defeat.

29 * .25 = 7.25 (rounds down to 7)

So for the 2nd game posted above, H$ won 29 points, .o2o. won 7

Glad to hear the question, feel free to ask any others that pop up in the future titan."

So basically.. if you lose, The worse you play, the more points you get..?
I don't think it's fair that if a losing team loses 150-0 they get more points than they do if they lose 150-120. :/
Back to top Go down
ReAper
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question about scoring   Question about scoring EmptyWed May 13, 2009 8:42 am

I've already admitted the scoring system is flawed in some regards. However the 1st day adjustment has helped resolve a lot of it.

The bottom line is you are capable of obtainined FAR more points through victory than in defeat. There's a maximum amount you can attain through losing (40), there is no maximum set for winning. The amounts given to the losing team aren't significant when compared to the amount given to the winning team in many cases (with the great exception being the 10 point rule where the losing team gets to keep 10% of their total points scored, but even then that pales in comparison to the winning team and their 25% of their total score).

An arguement, such as the one here can easily be made though. Teams do get more points for losing by 50 than if they lost by 20, I really don't see it making a difference in the long run. Say a team loses by 60, they earn 15 points. A team that loses by 20 earns 5. Does it necessarily make sense? No, I agree. However the big picture is the team winning is earning far more points, making the losing teams points insignificant in comparision. For example, say a team that loses gets 30 points. That's not a bad amount when not being compared to anything. However, in order for a losing team to earn that it means they lost by 120 - so the winning team just earned 120 points... does that 30 points really seem like a lot now?

If you strive to lose thinking you'll earn enough points to compete for the most overall points, I believe you'll find yourself mistaken and dissapointed. The points in place to the losing clan are participation/effort points to reward those who are active, regardless of the outcome so I feel they are necessary in that regard. After all, my main focus of putting this together was to promote overall activity within our community. My apologies for this flaw, but I wouldn't spent too much time worrying about it. Smile

I will definately try to brainstorm with people before I attempt any encores to this league regarding some quick tweaks I can make to the sytem in place to resolve this, but as I stated earlier in this post - I don't foresee it factoring into the "big picture" of things.
Back to top Go down
https://hurtmeplenty.forumotion.com
eclipse

PostSubject: Re: Question about scoring   Question about scoring EmptyThu May 14, 2009 4:25 pm

there's a simple solution you know.
just change the 25% of points you get not from the gap of points between the both teams, but take the 10% of the points that the losing team scored. That way they'll be interested in getting as many points as possible.

at the moment, if a team loses 150-0, both teams get the same ammount of points.
The winners get 25% out of 150, cause it's the points they got
and the losers get 25% out of the gap between their points, so it is also 25% out of 150.

In this case - yes it is very easy to compete in the top 3 while losing every single game and being completely inactive.
Back to top Go down
ReAper
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question about scoring   Question about scoring EmptyThu May 14, 2009 5:52 pm

eclipse wrote:

at the moment, if a team loses 150-0, both teams get the same ammount of points.
The winners get 25% out of 150, cause it's the points they got
and the losers get 25% out of the gap between their points, so it is also 25% out of 150

You misunderstood the scoring system a little. If a game ends 150-0 the winning team gets 150 (the margin of victory) and the losing team would get 25% of the margin of defeat (if 25% of the margin of defeat should exceed 40, they cannot earn more than 40 due to the "cap" for points earned in a loss).

The only time the winner gets 25%, and the losing team gets 10% is in the event a match ends with a margin of victory of 10 or less. So this would not apply to a match ending with the score of 150-0 obviously. The 10%/25% rule was put into effect after day #1 of the league to give clans more motivation to play other clans of similar level.
Back to top Go down
https://hurtmeplenty.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about scoring   Question about scoring Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about scoring
Page 1 of 1