Hurt Me Plenty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hurt Me Plenty

Quake 3 League Forums

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Slight Tweak to Scoring System?

Go down 
+3
jesus
Aspirin1
ReAper
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ReAper
Admin

Slight Tweak to Scoring System? Empty
PostSubject: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptySun May 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Asp, Jesus, Shadow, and myself just finished about a 20 minute xfire conversation regarding the scoring system.

As it stands now there's far more appeal to having a blowout than having to grind out a close game for a victory. We'd like to rectify that.

Example game with current scoring system:

Clan A scores 100, Clan B Score 95

Clan A gets 5 points, Clan B gets 1 point

Here's the suggestion, in matches decided by 10 points or less the winner gets 25% of their score as reward for pulling out the close match - this is to give a close game equal appeal to a blow out. I'm tempted to put it into effect immediately but I'm only one voice and this would effect every clan involved in this league obviously.

Please provide input regarding this. I'd like to start scoring this way on Day #2, the scores for Day #1 will not be effected by this if we decide to go with it.

I'm not putting a poll up - I'd much rather hear written opinions/thoughts about this.
Back to top Go down
https://hurtmeplenty.forumotion.com
Aspirin1

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptySun May 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Example

In the match today between UE and o2o, the score was 184-185 (o2o victory). With this new method, o2o would be awarded 46 points which is 25% of 185 and UE would get 0 points because the difference was 1 which only is 0.25 and rounds to 0. This method is a winner takes all method for the close games, i think it is better than just having a winner takes nothing AND loser takes nothing system that we have atm for close games.

Whachya think?
Back to top Go down
jesus

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptySun May 10, 2009 8:40 pm

I am a borderline genius. bounce
Back to top Go down
p1x3L

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptySun May 10, 2009 8:49 pm

I'm way beyond a borderline genius. Razz
Back to top Go down
uLt1maTe

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptySun May 10, 2009 8:52 pm

im way beyond confused
Back to top Go down
jesus

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptySun May 10, 2009 8:59 pm

uLt1maTe wrote:
im way beyond confused

Smile

Does the losing team deserve more for playing so hard?

......................or since it was so close there is a good chance the games will be back and forth....... affraid
Back to top Go down
ReAper
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 8:18 am

Please try to comment on this everyone.

Keep in mind that the only games this effects are games decided by 10 points or less. As stated in the initial post, this will give a close game equal appeal to a blowout game (at least for the winner of the match).

How about the losing team gets 10% of their total score, the winning team gets 25% of their total score in matches decided by 10 or less? I agree the losing team deserves more than 25% of the final deficit.
Back to top Go down
moRtem

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 12:50 pm

in my opinion this will make scoring system even worse.

it mainly forces two tactics:

better clan playing against a weaker clan: better clan gets the most points by not playing serious and keeping a close lead

weaker clan playing against a stronger clan: weaker clan gets the most points by keep jumping down lava until the timelimit is reached

----

not considering this rulechange, the scoring system is really bad already aswell, since the most effecient way to get points is to play against the weakest clans ... having two equal clans playing against each other isn't worth it (considering the points you gain).

there is a reason why the ELO-system got developed.. and i bet that system had years of developement ... so i strongly recommend to take use of the great work which was done by others, since you won't invent a better or equal system in a foreseeable time in terms of fairness

/quit
Back to top Go down
moRtem

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 1:15 pm

btw -- you don't need to read tons of text to use the ELO-system

there are online calculators aswell where you just need to enter 2 parameters and put one check. e.g.:
http://www.kosteniuk.com/EloCalc/elo.php

i just read one of your posts in another topic, where you stated to want active clans rewarded.

i had a suggestion coming up my mind while posting the above (which also means, that you probably need to try with example-matches a bit and see if it would be really fair):
what about using the ELO-system WITHOUT taking points from losing clans. So active clans will earn points with every won match (the more points, the more score the opponent had). And if active clans lose a match, they at least don't lose points. So basically activity could only higher score, but not lowering it.

/quit
Back to top Go down
jesus

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 1:51 pm

mortem -

can you run one of the matches through the calculator and let us know the results step by step? that would be a huge help.

I also think the current scoring system could force the weaker clans to want to play more since they score less per game. For example, Team A is the weakest clan. They end up playing 200 games scoring an average of 10 points per game for a total of 2,000 points. But, since no other clan played more than 75 games they win...
Back to top Go down
ReAper
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 3:51 pm

topic is titled "slight tweak to scoring system?"

I'd be willing to explore your suggestion in the future mortem, but as far as the current league goes I'd just like to attempt to fix the few flaws it has as best I can in order for more accurate scoring.

That being said, I noticed you posted the suggestion but no comment to anything as far as the suggestions made in here. Thoughts?

jesus wrote:
They end up playing 200 games scoring an average of 10 points per game for a total of 2,000 points. But, since no other clan played more than 75 games they win...

That's fine, I came right out and said it in a few other parts of the forum this league isn't just about the "best" clan winning. The setup is designed to reward activity, if a clan is willing to put that much time into playing matches they will be rewarded. On the same note, if a very good clan plays even a remotely close amount of games as a weaker clan they should have no trouble whatsoever accumulating adequate points to overcome them.

The underlying goal of this was/is to promote activity within our game.
Back to top Go down
ReAper
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 5:38 pm

After further conversation on xfire, effective immediately:

Any games decided by 10 points or less (not 12, not 11,10 or less) will result in the winning clan getting 25% of their total points and the losing clan will receive 10% of their total points.

Along with this, there has been a "cap" placed on the points the losing clan can receive; the cap will be 40.

My apologies for the change after the league has begun, a couple major flaws were seen and I'd rather fix them now instead of hoping to have a second league down the line and fix them then. Once again, my apologies..

Scoring from day 1 will be unaffected by this change, what has been tallied remains "as is".
Back to top Go down
pronst4r

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? EmptyTue May 12, 2009 7:31 am

i kind of thought the best thing for a tournament would be using the ladder system like paintball teams do..

like a double elimination, preliminary rounds, semi finals, finals, etc.

just a thought but since you already have this whole thing established then why bother switching it up like that =p albino sunny santa geek jocolor queen afro flower elephant study scratch lol! tongue What a Face Like a Star @ heaven Suspect I love you No cat alien monkey pig rabbit bounce confused affraid Basketball
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slight Tweak to Scoring System?   Slight Tweak to Scoring System? Empty

Back to top Go down

Slight Tweak to Scoring System?
Page 1 of 1